In this document, "Trustpilot", "we" "us" and "our" refer to Trustpilot A/S located at Pilestraede 58, 5th floor, 1112 Copenhagen, Denmark and its affiliates.
When you write a review on Trustpilot or otherwise use our websites, including but not limited to www.trustpilot.co.uk, or our applications (collectively referred to as the "Website"), you accept the processing of your personal data (the "Policy") as described in this Policy.
We recommend that you print and keep this Policy.
1 Types of information we collect and what we use it for
1.1 Master data
When you create a profile and write your first review on the Website, we collect the following master data about you (the "Master Data"):
- Your username,
- Your password, and
- Your email address.
You can choose to add further information to your profile, such as your photo, gender and location. This information is also regarded as Master Data.
We display your username (and other information you add to your profile) in connection with your review(s). Therefore, please be aware that depending on the information you provide, you may or may not be anonymous.
1.2 Information in reviews and ratings
When you write a review of a company on our Website, we also collect the information you include in your review, such as:
- Which company you review,
- The type of buying or service experience the review concerns (see the definition of "Service Experience" in our User Guidelines),
- Your evaluation of your Service Experience with the company, e.g. the star rating you provide,
- The date of your review and, if you update your review, the date on which it is edited,
- A reference number or order ID (if you or the company provides one), and
- If you are requested to provide documentation verifying your Service Experience and you send us such documentation, we will collect and process the documentation for the purpose(s) stated in the request.
1.3 Information from other services, including social networks
As part of our services, we offer you the option of connecting your Trustpilot profile on the Website with your profile on social networks such as Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter ("Social Network(s)"). We automatically collect selected information about you from Social Networks when you use this option. The information we collect depends on what information you have made available on the Social Networks and your privacy settings for sharing such information on the Social Networks. We may collect the following:
- Name and/or username
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Profile photo
- Your social connections
- Other information you have made public via the Social Network
When you make a request to connect your Trustpilot profile with a Social Network profile, you will be informed about which information we will collect from the Social Network in question. You will receive this information before your request is carried out.
Read more about which cookies the Website uses and for which purposes below (section 7).
1.5 Your IP address, browser settings and location
When you visit the Website, we register your computer's IP address and browser settings. The IP address is the numerical address of the computer used to visit the Website. Browser settings can include the type of browser you use, browser language, and time zone. We collect this information so that we can trace the computer used in cases of misuse or unlawful actions in connection with visits to or use of the Website. Further, we use the IP address to approximate your location (at city level).
1.6 Newsletter sign-up information
We collect the information you provide us with when you sign up to receive our newsletters, such as your name and email address. If you no longer wish to receive our newsletters, you can unsubscribe by logging in to your user profile and changing your personal settings.
1.7 How we use this information
We may use the information you provide to us to:
- Provide our services to you, including displaying your review, and providing you with access to our Website.
- Identify you as a registered user when you log in to the Website.
- Verify the legitimacy of reviews and ratings.
- Improve the Website and our services.
- Invite you to leave more reviews.
- Respond to your questions and provide related customer service.
- Contact you if your review is flagged by other users or companies and, if necessary, ask you to provide documentation to verify your review.
- Send you our newsletters.
- Inform you when other users find your review helpful or otherwise provide feedback in relation to your review.
- Facilitate our social sharing function, including giving you the option to connect members of your network who are both users of Trustpilot and users of one or more Social Networks.
- Engage in various internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, improving or modifying the Website or our services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and legal process, requests from public and governmental authorities, relevant industry standards and our internal policies.
- Enforce our Terms & Conditions.
- Protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates.
- Protect our rights, privacy, safety or property and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- Allow us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we may sustain.
- Display which members of your Social Networks are users of Trustpilot in order to increase the confidence in reviews and to create a better user experience on our Website.
We may also use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection. We may use or disclose information that is not personal information for any purpose to the extent permitted by applicable law.
2 Disclosure of personal information
2.1 Disclosure of personal information on the Website
Your acceptance of this Policy also implies consent to disclose information about you on the Website. This includes your username, which may reveal your identity in full or in part - unless you have chosen to use a pseudonym.
We recommend that you exercise care in deciding which information to make available for disclosing on the Website, and be aware that depending on the level of information provided, you may or may not be anonymous.
When you write a review on our Website and create a profile, your username will be visible to other users of the Website.
Other information provided by you on the Website, including photos and reviews, is automatically made visible on the Website. The companies you review may also receive information about your review.
When you make a contribution to the Website, we use your computer's IP address (see section 1.4 of this Policy) to approximate your location to the nearest city. This is made available to other users of the Website.
If you connect to a Social Network, information such as your profile photo, your name, birth year and approximate location will be collected from your Social Network profile and used to identify you on the Website. Subject to privacy settings and the level of information available from the Social Network, users of the Website may be able to use this information to identify which reviews you have written.
If you have chosen to preserve anonymity by using a pseudonym for your Trustpilot username, be aware that information from Social Network(s) may reveal your identity in part or in full and make it possible to identify which reviews you have written.
If your contacts or your contact's contacts (jointly referred to as "Connections") on the Social Network have also connected with Trustpilot, we may display on the Website how you are connected to these Connections through the Social Network.
2.2 Disclosure on services to which you connect your profile
2.3 Disclosure to other services and companies
One of Trustpilot's main goals is to increase the exposure and availability of reviews on the Website. We therefore permit other services to show reviews created on the Website. This increases the potential audience for your reviews.
The categories of third party services and companies to which the information is disclosed are:
- Search engines, including Google and Bing.
- Companies reviewed on Trustpilot.
- Consumer portals and business portals, including price comparison websites, shopping guides etc.
- Application partners and platforms, such as Magento, Shopify, WooCommerce.
- Other similar websites where, in Trustpilot's assessment, it will be relevant for users to search for reviews.
Once you submit your review, it is published on the Website. This means that the following information is disclosed:
- Your review(s), (see section 1.2),
- Your username and, if uploaded, a profile photo as well as user demographics such as gender, and
- Your location (approximated to the closest city).
If you write a review on Trustpilot in response to an invitation sent by a company via Trustpilot's invitation services, the company who sent you the invite will be able to link your review with the invitation.
If we need to verify your review, we may contact you and ask for documentation that shows that you have had a Service Experience with the company that you have reviewed. We therefore recommend that you keep such documentation for 12 months from the date of your review. We explain the type of documentation you should send us here: support.trustpilot.com/hc/en-us/articles/201839083-What-does-Trustpilot-look-for-in-a-Proof-of-Purchase-
We do not share the documentation you send to us with the reviewed company. However, we may pass on your reference number to the company, unless you ask us not to.
2.4 Other disclosures
In addition to the above, we may disclose your personal information to the following parties and in the following circumstances:
- To allow third party vendors, consultants and other service providers to perform services on our behalf.
- To Trustpilot subsidiaries and other companies within the Trustpilot group of companies.
- To comply with laws or to respond to claims, legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas and court orders) and requests from public and government authorities.
- To cooperate with regulatory bodies and government authorities, including but not limited to Trading Standards, The Competition and Markets Authority, and the Danish Consumer Ombudsman, in connection with investigations or case referrals.
- To third parties in connection with enforcement of our Terms & Conditions.
- To third parties in order for us to protect our operations or those of our affiliates.
- To third parties in order for us to pursue available remedies, or limit damages that we may sustain.
- To third parties in order for us to investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected or actual prohibited activities, including but not limited to fraud and misuse of our Website.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganisation, merger, acquisition, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
3 Data controller
3.1 Information for which we are the data controller
We are the data controller of the Master Data you enter in connection with your creation of a profile, which includes but is not limited to your name, password and email address, as well as the registration of your IP address.
We are also the data controller of the information which is disclosed to other services (see section 2.3). Danish data protection laws govern collection of data by Trustpilot.
3.2 Information for which you are the data controller
You are the data controller for the content you choose to disclose on the Website, and for the data disclosed when you connect your Social Network profile(s) with your profile on the Website.
4 Links to websites
Our Website contains links to other websites. Our inclusion of such links does not imply our endorsement of those websites. We do not control the content of those third party websites, and assume no responsibility for the third party or their policies or practices.
We encourage you to review privacy policies for these third party websites because their procedures for collecting, handling and processing personal data may be different from ours.
5 Data processor and transfer of personal information outside the EU
We use external companies for maintaining the technical operation of the Website and our services. These companies are data processors for the personal data for which we are the data controller. By accepting this Policy, you agree that we may also allow the data for which you are the data controller to be processed by the same data processors.
The data processors must act solely in accordance with instructions from us. By accepting the Policy, you authorise us to give such instructions to the data processors to process data in accordance with the Policy and for the purpose of using the Website.
The data processors have taken reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect against the information being accidentally or illegally destroyed, lost or deteriorated, and to protect against the information being disclosed to unauthorised persons, being misused, or in other ways being processed in violation of the Danish Act on Processing of Personal Data (Persondataloven). On your request - and possibly in return for possible remuneration at the data processors' applicable hourly rates at any time for such work - the data processors must supply you with sufficient information to demonstrate that the above-mentioned technical and organisational safety measures have been taken.
Some of these data processors and third party services are located outside of the European Union, such as in the US. You consent to us using data processors in unsecure third countries provided that there is a legal framework governing the transfer of your personal data, for example if the company is part of the EU-US Privacy Shield framework.
6 Security measures
We seek to use reasonable organisational, technical and administrative measures to protect your personal information within our organisation and we regularly audit our system for vulnerabilities. However, since the internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of information you transmit to Trustpilot. Emails sent via the Website are not encrypted, and we therefore advise you not to include any confidential information in your emails to us.
7.1 What types of Cookies do we use?
Cookies are small pieces of information that the Website places on your computer's hard disk, on your tablet or on your smartphone. Cookies contain information that the Website uses to make the communication between you and your web browser more efficient. Cookies identify your computer rather than you as an individual user.
We use session cookies and persistent cookies, and technologies similar to session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are temporary snippets of information that are deleted when you exit your web browser. Persistent cookies are more permanent snippets of information that are stored and remain on your computer until they are deleted. Persistent cookies delete themselves after a certain period of time but are renewed each time you visit the Website.
We use technologies similar to session cookies and persistent cookies for storing and accessing information in the browser or device which utilises local units and local storage, such as HTML5 cookies, Flash and other methods. These technologies can operate across all of your browsers. In some cases, the use of these technologies cannot be controlled by the browser, but requires special tools. We use these technologies to store information to ensure the quality of reviews and to spot irregularities in the use of the Website.
- Generating statistics
Measuring Website traffic such as the number of visits to the Website, which domains the visitors come from, which pages the visitors visit on the Website and in which overall geographical areas the visitors are located.
- Monitoring the performance of the Website and your use of our Website
Monitoring the performance of the Website, our applications and widgets and how you use our Website, applications and widgets.
- Authentication and improving the functionality of our Website
Optimising your experience with the Website, which includes remembering your username and password when you return to the Website, and remembering information about your browser and preferences (e.g. which language you prefer).
- Connecting you to Social Networks
We give you the option of connecting with Social Networks, such as Facebook.
- Quality assurance
Ensuring the quality of reviews and to prevent misuse or irregularities in connection with writing reviews and using the Website.
- Targeted advertisements
7.3 Third party Cookies
- Segment: For statistical purposes.
- Amplitude: For statistical purposes.
- Facebook (set by Facebook only if you interact with the Facebook plugin or are already logged into Facebook when you use our Website): For the purpose of connecting and integrating with Facebook.
- Twitter (set by Twitter only if you interact with the Twitter plugin or are already logged in to Twitter when you use our Website): For the purpose of connecting and integrating with Twitter.
- Google+ (set by Google only if you interact with the Google+ plugin or are already logged in to Google when you use our Website): For the purpose of connecting with Google+.
- Google AdSense: For the purpose of displaying relevant advertisements, see above.
- New Relic: For the purpose of monitoring and analysing the performance of our applications and metrics from user sessions. You can read more about cookies from New Relic here: docs.newrelic.com/docs/browser/new-relic-browser/page-load-timing-resources/new-relic-cookies.
- Alexa: For the purpose of monitoring the traffic on our Website, such as general visitor numbers, conversions, and similar.
7.4 Deletion of cookies
If you want to delete the cookies already on your equipment, you can. If you use a PC and a recent browser, press CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE simultaneously. If the shortcuts do not work on your browser, please visit the support page for the browser in question. Please note, however, that if you do not accept cookies from our Website, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Website, and you may be prevented from accessing all of its features.
8 Access, correction and deletion
8.1 Access to information about your personal data
Upon your request, we will inform you of the purpose for which we process your personal data; what personal information we have about you; who receives your personal information and from where the personal information originates.
Requests regarding the above will only be processed if more than six (6) months have elapsed since any previous request made by you, unless you can substantiate a special interest in obtaining the information earlier.
8.2 Correction and deletion of your personal data
Please let us know if any of the personal information that we, as the data controller, process about you is incorrect or misleading and we will correct it. You will be able to correct most of this information yourself on our Website. If possible, we recommend that you make the correction(s) yourself.
You may at any time correct or delete any content and personal information on the Website for which you are the data controller (see section 3.2). If your personal information changes, or if you no longer wish to appear on the Website, you may update or delete the information by logging in to your user profile.
When your profile is deleted, all the data associated with your user profile is deleted, including your Master Data and reviews on the Website.
We reserve the right to block access to your profile and/or delete your profile if the profile or the content associated with your profile or your review(s) on the Website is, in our assessment, discriminating, racist, sexually oriented, unethical, threatening, offensive, harassing or otherwise violates applicable laws, third party rights, the User Guidelines or is inconsistent with the purpose of the Website. If we block access to or delete your user profile, we will inform you of the reason for blocking or deleting your profile by sending an email to the address you provided when you created your account.
9 Changes to the Policy
We may change this Policy at any time. The date shown at the start of this Policy indicates when it was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Policy on the Website. You agree that your continued use of the Website after any posted modifications constitutes your acceptance of the new version of the Policy.
10 Enquiries regarding the Website or the Policy
If you have questions or concerns about our Policy, how we process your personal information, or would like us to correct your personal information, please contact us at: Trustpilot A/S, Pilestraede 58, 5th floor, 1112 Copenhagen, Denmark, CVR no.: 30276582, telephone: +45 8877 7600, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.